1 a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief; "from time to time she contributed a personal comment on his account" [syn: comment]
2 explicit notice; "it passed without remark"
1 make mention of; "She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing" [syn: note, observe, mention]
2 make or write a comment on; "he commented the paper of his colleague" [syn: comment, notice, point out]
- Rhymes with: -ɑː(r)k
Nounremark (plural: remarks)
- Act of pointing out or attentively noticing; notice or observation.
- The expression, in speech or writing, of something remarked or noticed; the mention of that which is worthy of attention or notice; hence, also, a casual observation, comment, or statement; as, a pertinent remark.
- Chinese: 评论 (píng lùn)
- Czech: poznámka
- Danish: bemærkning
- Dutch: opmerking
- Finnish: huomautus
- French: remarque
- German: Bemerkung
- Hungarian: megjegyzés
- Italian: osservazione
- Japanese: 注意 (ちゅうい, chūi)
- Korean: 논평 (nonpyeong)
- Polish: uwaga
- Portuguese: observação
- Russian: замечание (zamečánije)
- Spanish: observación
- Swedish: anmärkning
- To make a remark or remarks; to comment.
- To mark in a notable manner; to distinquish clearly; to make noticeable or conspicuous; to point out.
- To take notice of, or to observe, mentally; as, to remark the manner of a speaker.
- To express in words or writing, as observed or noticed; to state; to say; -- often with a substantive clause; as, he remarked that it was time to go.
- remarkable adjective
Parthian shot, address, advertence, advertency, affirmation, alertness, allegation, allude to, analysis, animadvert, annotation, answer, apostrophe, aside, assert, assertion, assiduity, assiduousness, attend, attention, attention span, attentiveness, averment, awareness, behold, blurt, blurt out, call attention to, care, clarification, cognizance, comment, comment upon, commentary, commentate, commentation, concentration, consciousness, consideration, crack, critical review, criticism, criticize, critique, deal with, declaration, declare, descant, descry, dictum, diligence, discern, discourse, discuss, dissert, dissertate, ear, earnestness, editorial, elucidation, episode, espy, exclaim, exclamation, exegesis, explanation, explication, exposition, expression, gloss, go into, greeting, handle, heed, heedfulness, infix, injection, inquire into, insert, insertion, insinuation, intentiveness, intentness, intercalation, interject, interjection, interlineation, interlocution, interpolation, interpretation, introduction, leader, leading article, let drop, let fall, look, look at, make reference to, mark, mention, mind, mindfulness, muse, note, notice, obiter dictum, observance, observation, observe, opine, parenthesis, perceive, phrase, position, pronouncement, question, refer to, reflect, reflection, regard, regardfulness, remark upon, report, respect, review, running commentary, say, saying, scholium, see, sentence, side remark, speak, state, statement, subjoinder, survey, take note, take notice, take up, tend, thought, tossing-in, touch upon, treat, treat of, utterance, view, watch, word, write up, write-up